Thursday, March 6, 2014

Rainbow Cupcakes

This winter has been absolutely miserable and cold all around. To get out of that funk I decided that a little color was needed. I've seen a lot of rainbow ideas and thought what the heck, lets try some rainbow cupcakes! :-) I decided i only wanted 5 colors in the cupcakes and i would make some color swirl basic buttercream frosting. I chose to use red, yellow, green, blue and purple for the cupcakes and use orange and red for the frosting.

 I mixed a basic vanilla box cake with a hand mixer following box instructions. I have to say it is oober important that you mix as directed. If the box says 2 minutes count to 60 in your head twice out set a timer. The batter needs this to get to tree right consistency for nice fluffy cupcakes that we all love to snack on. 

Split the finished batter into five small bowls. I used my godson's toddler bowls cause they were just the right size. Lol. For the color i like using the Wilton gel colors. Some colors come out pretty vivid and others take a lot of the coloring. 

I wasn't sure how i wanted to add the batter to the pan for the best results and came up with using plastic baggies. I poured each bowl into a baggie and cut off the tip off my first color. I decided i wanted the blue on the bottom and work through the colors in order of the rainbow. I squeezed what looked like the same amount into each liner. Put them in the oven following box directions.

For frosting I'm pretty basic because I love a simple buttercream frosting. It is just right for sweetness and it is just so easy. I make basic buttercream frosting using half butter and half shortening. I like the lighter taste like this. 

They turned out amazing. However the frosting didn't come out quite as dark as i wanted. Next time..... lol. I'm gonna have to do this again with my godson for St. Patrick's day. Tell me what you think! Any other ideas i should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment