Friday, March 21, 2014

Camouflage Cupcakes

For St. Patrick's day, I wanted to put together a camouflage cupcake. I used 1 white cake box mix and 1 devil's food cake mix. This will make approximately 48 cupcakes.

To start I mixed up both batters then divided each batter in half using medium sized bowls. I made the mistake of using too small of bowls and then not having perfect proportions..... either way your cupcake will look good and be delicious. I do want to express the necessity of following the directions on the box when mixing batter.

Keep one bowl white or add 1 spoon full for a more cream color. Add 4 or more spoonfuls of white to one of the browns for a lighter brown color. For the green take approx 3 spoonfuls of brown to the other white then add green food coloring to desired color.

When adding the batter to the cupcake tins i tried a couple different ways. First use a smaller spoon. I used my tried and true baby spoons from my godson. He thinks this means they are all for him. (Oh toddlers) i found that 6 spoonfuls using those spoons (you can get them at the dollar store) will fill my tins the perfect 2/3 full. I just layered my coloring not trying to be perfect. Just kind mix it up. I found i liked it when i took a toothpick and swirled the colors. Baking them as directed on box.

After letting cool, frost with desired frosting. I mixed up some basic buttercream and added some green food coloring. Using a piping bag and large star tip for the frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment